Saturday, January 17, 2009

Road Music

So I just made the big move to Tennessee. From Minnesota. In my car. Why yes, thank you for asking. It was a long drive.

I got to stop in Chicago, though. That was fun.

So anyway, what does one do while driving for a planned fifteen hours, and actual 17 or 18? Listen to music, right?

I loaded up my ipod and then completely trapped my FM transmitter under piles of other stuff, so I didn't even get to listen to half of what I planned. Thankfully, I still had a bunch of my new CDs in my purse, and the great thing about new CDs is that you can listen to them more than once, even in a row. And truthfully, that made the trip seem shorter, listening to fewer CDs. That might seem strange, but it worked out well. So, here's what I listened to:

Jon McLaughlin, OK NOW: twice.
Cadillac Sky, Gravity's Our Enemy: three times.
Rebecca Lynn Howard, No Rules: twice
The Decemberists, The Crane Wife: three times
Deana Carter, The Chain: a whopping FIVE (maybe six, I honestly lost count) times
Keith Urban, Greatest Hits-19 Kids: twice

Other than about a half an hour of radio at the end of each trip (into Chicago and then into Murfreesboro) that got me through 17 or 18 hours of driving. I'd recommend especially The Decemberists for a drive, especially if you're driving by yourself. That is an album that is meant to be listened to front to back in one sitting, and when you've got nothing else to do... it's perfect.

What didn't I get to listen to? The road mix I made specifically for this drive including all sorts of leaving home songs and going to Tennessee songs. Kind of a bummer. Also, a few mixes made by the guy I stayed with in Chicago-- I really wanted to listen to them before I saw him and knew driving would be the perfect time to do it, but didn't get to.

But I can listen to them now.
I'll report back.

What's some of your favorite road music? Do you listen to CDs, mixes on your iPod, the radio? What gets you through a long drive?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, nice blog you've got going on here!

And also way to combine genres of music, I support your taste!

Feel free to stop by sometime. Leave comments :)

http://fromahouseonbrownave.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

There are many artists you mentioned that I've never heard of. I'll check em out! I usually listen to the different radio stations on road trips.

So@24 said...

Oooh!

Decemberists?

+14 cool kid points.

Although I would have gone with "Picaresque" or "Her Majesty".

Good mix!

Amanda said...

Minerals Exploration Company India

CPH said...

WOW some great stuff there...When I drive I tend to go old school, so I can sing along and stay awake. Like Jackson 5, this year I enjoyed Jason Mraz , Carla Duren,Katie Noonan (australian) and KD lang's Invincible Summer CD..

great blog :)

Anonymous said...

the decemberists are always on my "road trip" playlist!

i'm also a sucker for taylor swift's "fearless" - i can listen to that over and over again, if only because i can sing along mindlessly and forget that i have hours to go. and let's be real, a road trip wouldn't be complete without some throwback boyband tuneage... dirty poppin' and mmmboppin' :)

alzaeem1419 said...

visit blog : http://natural--photos.blogspot.com/

for all natural photos ..

thank you ,,