Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Play

Brad Paisley's new album, Play, drops today. I won't be running out to snatch it off of Walmart's shelves today (or actually, probably ever-- I'm a [legal] downloader now, as part of my small contribution to the environment) because I am going to have to seriously budget for all the new, great music coming out (Taylor Swift's Fearless drops next week on Tuesday!) but we can all rest assured the album will be in my possession sooner or later--and probably my dad's too, if we're being honest. Brad Paisley is one of the many wonderful things my dad and I bond over. It's part of the reason I love Brad Paisley

But there are many reasons I truly love Brad Paisley. His music is clean, modern sounding, and yet still very country, in a traditional way. He's earned the respect of the greats, evidenced by the guest appearances on every one of his albums-- including Little Jimmy Dickens, George Jones, and Vince Gill, among others (although if we're being honest, Vince Gill will sing or play with just about anyone. He's just a nice guy like that). Lyrically, he can write so poignantly, so humorously, and when he's really on top of his game, can roll both of those amazing qualities into one song. He combines those lyrics with simple, well-thought-out, yet incredibly natural melodies, adding even more meaning to every word he sings.

But I just have to tell you, if we left all of those factors out of consideration, there is one factor that would guarantee my purchase of Play. The tune which includes multiple prominent guitarists (because Brad Paisley is an amazing guitarist, too. Did I forget to mention that?) is called... wait for it...

Cluster Pluck.

I mean, is that genious or what?
Am I getting too worked up over a stupid song title? Probably. But that's part of BP's genious. He knows how to get a good laugh out of you with very little effort. Sometimes the joke is classy, sometimes it's not, but eh, whatever.

Go pick up Brad Paisley's Play. Do it.
(And just in case you've been living under a rock, have you heard "Start a Band" with Keith Urban?)

No comments: