Sunday, October 12, 2008

White Light Riot

I'm not just saying this. I'm really not.

White Light Riot is insanely AMAZING live.

I had the privilege of seeing them play last night at the Fine Line Music Cafe in Minneapolis, and it was SO worth the late night/early morning I had to pull off to do it.

I've heard a lot of their music (Out of Sight is a favorite), I've seen bits of their personality through online video blogs and goofy music videos, and I've loved it all. But MAN, those boys, live are just CRAZY.

Especially Mike and Mark. Mike is so charismatic as the front man-- so much more than I expected. And it's certainly a pity there wasn't more light on Mark, drumming in the back. It's so much fun to watch the drummers with the goofy "I can't believe this is my life" grins on their faces. Joe, with his guitar, his hair and his harmony. Mmm. I could have just kissed him. And Dan just exuded the chill factor-- which I guess is what bass players are for. All of the guys had their own thing going for them, but the dynamic was shared-- and they were incredible.

Their sound has been described to me as indie rock/brit-pop (one of the members spent a semester or two in England I think, and was very influenced by the music there), and while I really couldn't speak too intelligently on either of those subjects, I know there is something unique about these guys-- and creative. The lyrics are cool, the arrangements are energetic, and the performance is nearly flawless.

Seriously, these guys aren't well known beyond Minneapolis yet, but they should be, and I think they will be. If you trust my taste in music at all, check them out.

Peace.

No comments: