Saturday, September 6, 2008

Some Things Never Change

I've had my iTunes library on shuffle the past few days. That's something I don't normally do, because I have the tendency to hit the "next" button more often than not, as I have a wide variety of music and have to be in a certain mood to listen to most of it. I've loved the shuffle lately, though, as it's reminding me how much I love certain artists.

Earlier today I was reminded of my love for Gentry Morris, who, since I checked up on his myspace today, seems to have moved from Tennessee to Ireland. This bums me out, as I am hopefully headed for Tennessee soon, and would have loved to see him live. If you like well-written, soulfully sung folk/indie rock, you'll like Gentry. Plus, the boy is hot.

Just now, Bethany Dick's song "Some Things Never Change" started playing. That is the song that truly made me fall in love with her as an artist, and she's only gotten better. She's bluegrass/traditional country, with a voice like Alison Krauss, songwriting chops, and incredible musicians to back her up.

"I'm Not Alright," by Sanctus Real is currently playing-- I saw them for free about a year ago, though I'd never heard of them, and even though I generally think that the entire genre of Contemporary Christian basically just rips off current music trends without ever adding anything to them, the vocals are great and the lyrics are well thought out and very honest, not contrived like a lot of CC can be.

"Hold Whatcha Got," originally a Jimmy Martin tune, was crooned at me earlier as a tribute by JD Crowe and a whole host of other bluegrass greats. It's one of my favorites off the Jimmy Martin tribute album, and Jimmy Martin's version is even better (of course).

And then I heard a voice that was more than familiar. My friend Jim Vilandre's voice came pouring out of my speakers singing, "The Heart of God." It felt like being back with some of my best friends, just for a moment.

My own (new!) song even popped into the mix tonight. It's a rough demo, but I love listening to it, because it served the purpose I wrote it for more than successfully, and it's great to revel in success, isn't it? Check out "23" at my myspace page if you're interested.

Plus, pieces of the Rent original broadway recording keep sneaking their way in. That's just pure bliss.

Music. I love it.
Some things never change.

No comments: