Saturday, March 29, 2008

Overnite

I recently bought Trisha Yearwood's Heaven, Heartache, and the Power of Love. If you like Jasper County, which was her previous album, this one shouldn't be a disappointment. Her powerful vocals are showcased along with some wonderful songwriting, lyrics, and some cute stylistic songs like "Cowboys Are My Weakness" (my favorite is the lyrics "I wanna be the lady he..." sung in a yodel. So cute and clever). Recommended.

I've been listening to Chris Thile's Deceiver. Great album lyrically, and he definitely did some risk taking with his musical choices. Great when you're tired of the status quo.

At this very moment, it's The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter, which I'm still wrapping my head around. I absolutely love it, and every time I listen I find something else to admire about this man.

I went looking for these lyrics, but couldn't find them since they're a bonus track, so I thought I'd do my best with them and post them here. The song sounds a bit like Frankie Valli's "Oh What a Night," probably intentionally.

It's called "Overnite."

i won't ask why
there ain't an answer that would satisfy
so i'll just lie beside you mystified
at things that happen overnite

oh woe was me
whatever you saw in me wasn't much to see
now whatever change it is in me must be
something that happened overnite

was it a change in the weather
was it a change in your scene
did you mistake what i meant
for what i didn't mean
is it not worth the questions
is it one of those things
how deep is the ocean
how long is the string

oh they talk away
tell me rome wasn't built in a day
i know better than whatever they say
i know it happened overnite
i know it happened overnite
i know it happened overnite

No comments: